Raw Vanilla Cheesecake with Chocolate Almond Crust
- serves 4
This healthy dessert is definitely a favourite that vegans and non-vegans will love.
Courtesy of Lauren Toyota and John Diemer of hot for food blog.
1 cup raw almonds, soaked for at least 3 hours
½ cup raw walnuts
⅓ cup shredded coconut
8 medjool dates, pitted
¼ cup coconut sugar
⅓ cup coconut oil
2 Tbsp raw cocoa powder
¼ tsp sea saltVanilla Cheesecake Filling
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours
⅓ cup agave nectar (or 1/2 cup maple syrup for non-raw version)
¼ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla powder or the inside of 1 vanilla beanTopping
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1. Place the almonds and walnuts in a food processor and blend them into a coarse meal. Add remaining ingredients and blend until well combined.
2. Using your hands, press the dough in an even layer into mini tart pans with removable bottoms. Freeze the crusts for 30 mins and make the cheesecake filling.
3. If you don't care about eating a strictly raw dessert, you can poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork and then bake them for 8-10 minutes at 325°F. The nuts toast up nicely and it gives a yummy overall flavour to the cheesecake that might be more palatable to people who aren't accustomed to raw food and desserts. Allow the crusts to cool completely before filling them.Vanilla Cheesecake Filling
1. In a vita-mix or high powered blender, combine all the ingredients until smooth.
2. Remove your crusts from the freezer and pour the filling into them just below the top edge of the crust. Place them back in the freezer for 1-2 hours to set.
3. Before serving the cheesecake allow them to sit out at room temperature for 10 minutes. They can keep for a while in the freezer as well.Topping
1. For an easy topping you can just thaw frozen mixed berries at room temperature while you wait for the cheesecakes. Alternatively, you can place fresh mixed berries in a bowl with a mixture of 2 parts lemon juice and 1 part raw agave nectar and let this mixture sit for 30 minutes until it becomes soft and juicy.
2. For an easy topping you can just thaw frozen mixed berries at room temperature while you wait for the cheesecakes. Alternatively, you can place fresh mixed berries in a bowl with a mixture of 2 parts lemon juice and 1 part raw agave nectar and let this mixture sit for 30 minutes until it becomes soft and juicy.