Regal Diner Omelette and Toast
- serves 6
Courtesy of Simon Kelly of The Regal Diner.
2 ½ tsp yeast
1 Tbsp cane sugar
3 cups flour
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ cup sunflower oilOmelette
12 slices uncooked smoked bacon, chopped
2 medium yellow cooking onions, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 2/2 tsp butter
2 cups medium Cheddar cheese, grated
1. To make the bread, combine 1 cup warm water, yeast, and cane sugar in a medium bowl; let stand at room temperature for 3-5 minutes, or until yeast activates.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, combine flour, sea salt, and sunflower oil.
3. Pour activated yeast mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on medium speed for 1 ½ minutes, until dough is soft but not sticky. If dough is sticky, add more flour; if dough is dry, add water.
4. Form dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl; cover with a clean towel and let rest at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
5. Roll dough into a log and place in the loaf pan; cover and let rise again for 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven or convection oven to 350ºF.
7. Bake bread for 60 minutes, or until bread is golden brown; set aside to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.Omelette
1. Heat two pans over medium heat; add bacon to one pan and onions to the second pan. Cook and stir onions until soft and brown; cook bacon until crisp.
2. Add tomatoes to the pan with the onions, stir, and remove from heat.
3. For each omelette, break two eggs in a bowl; add a pinch each of salt and parsley.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil in a medium pan over medium heat; swirl oil around the pan to coat and pour off excess.
5. Add ¼ teaspoon of butter to the pan to test temperature. Butter should start fizzing but should not brown. If butter browns, pour off the butter, lower heat and repeat.
6. Whisk eggs until frothy and pour into the pan; with a rubber spatula or fork, stir eggs in the pan for a few seconds, then cook for 15 seconds; add a layer of cheese to one side of the omelette.
7. Top cheese with one sixth of the bacon, onions, and tomatoes.
8. Add another sprinkle of cheese and fold the bare side of the omelette over the toppings with a spatula; plate the omelette and garnish with parsley. Serve with toast, fruit and home fries.
9. Repeat cooking process for remaining omelettes.