Restaurant Style Taco Salad
- prep time 10 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 12
2 lb. or 900 grams extra lean ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1 heaping tablespoon onion flakes
2 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1 heads Romaine or leaf lettuce
Re-sealable bags or containers
Single serve bag of tortilla chips
Your favourite toppings (salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc)
1. Brown ground beef, chicken or turkey in a large nonstick fry pan at med-high until no longer pink. Add spice, while meat is browning, stirring occasionally.
2. When meat is completely browned add ketchup and water. Cook until water has reduced and meat mixture begins to thicken approx 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Divide taco meat into 10-12 reseal-able freezer bags and freeze.
4. Break lettuce into basket of salad spinner, rinse and spin dry.
5. Divide the lettuce into 10-12 re-sealable bags. (You can use containers, instead of re-sealable bags for either the lettuce or the meat if you prefer. If you do, make sure you leave room for extra condiments.)
6. When you are ready to take your fresh taco salad to work or school… simply remove the lettuce from one of the bags and then layer any condiments you want kept cold -- such as sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese or cilantro -- at the bottom. Put the lettuce back in.
7. Pack your sealed lettuce bag into your lunch bag right beside your pre-prepared frozen taco meat. (The meat will keep things cool until lunch.)
8. Snag a single serve bag of your favorite taco chips.
9. To serve: crush your chips, add your hot or cold taco meat and then your lettuce and toppings.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site