Rib Steak and Asparagus
- prep time 15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 4
4 porterhouse steaks
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (30 ml)
2 Tbsp butter (30 ml)
Salt and pepper to tasteHollandaise Sauce
4 egg yolks
½ tsp lemon juice (2 ml)
½ cup melted butter (125 ml)
½ tsp Dijon mustard (2 ml)
1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped (5 ml)
Salt and pepper to tasteAsparagus
½ lb. fresh asparagus (225 g)
1 Tbsp butter (15 ml)
1 shallots, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a large oven-proof heavy skillet on high and add oil. Add steak, cooking until crispy on both sides, 6 minutes in total.
2. Place the skillet in the oven for another 8 minutes for medium-rare. During the last 2 minutes, add butter and continue cooking.
3. Remove and let rest, covered with aluminum foil to keep warm.Hollandaise Sauce
1. For the Hollandaise sauce, whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice in a stainless steel bowl until the mixture is thickened, pale and doubled in volume, for about 5 minutes. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble. Slowly drizzle the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
2. Add the Dijon mustard and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Keep warm until ready to serve. If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.Asparagus
1. For the asparagus, boil them for about 45 seconds until slightly cooked. Remove from heat and plunge into a bowl of ice-cold water. Meanwhile, in a medium pan heat butter until it melts. Add shallots and asparagus, cook another 2 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
2. Serve the steak with the buttered asparagus, fries and hollandaise sauce.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site