Ricardo's Blueberry Pie
- prep time 15 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 6
2 discs Basic Pie Crust (see recipe)
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 drizzle Milk or water for brushing
1. On a floured surface, roll the dough into thin discs. Line a 23-cm (9-inch) Pyrex or aluminum pie plate with 1 of the discs. Cut a slit in the middle of the other disc. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, tapioca, and lemon zest and juice. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Press gently to even it out. Brush the edge of the pastry with milk. Cover with the second piece of dough. Seal by crimping the top and bottom sheets of dough with a fork or your fingers. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer.
3. With the rack in the bottom position, preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
4. Remove the plastic wrap. Place the frozen pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until golden brown, about 75 minutes. Baking time for an unfrozen pie is about 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
5. Note: If you want the top crust to be a rich golden colour, brush it with egg wash before baking. To make the egg wash, lightly beat1 egg with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) water.