Ricardo's Chicken Pot Pie
- prep time 30 min
- total time 130 min
- serves 6
2 cup peeled, diced carrots
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3/10 cup butter
½ cup flour
2 cup chicken broth
2 cup milk
2 cup peeled, diced butternut squash
1 ½ cup peeled, diced potatoes
2 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
½ tsp celery seeds
½ cup frozen peas, thawed
2 cup cubed or shredded cooked chicken (see Poached Chicken recipe)
2 discs Basic Pie Crust (see recipe)
1 pinch Salt and pepper
1. In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, soften the carrots, onion and garlic in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour and cook while stirring for 1 more minute.
2. Add the broth and the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the squash, potatoes, herbs and celery seeds. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove the thyme and the bay leaves. Add the peas and the chicken. Adjust the seasoning.
4. Transfer to six 4 x 10 x 13-cm (1 3/4 x 4 x 5-inch) disposable aluminum baking pans. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool partially. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. Roll out the dough about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick. Cut into 6 rectangles the same size as the covers of the aluminum pans, about 10 x 13 cm (4 x 5 inches). Cut a slit in the centre of each rectangle.
6. Lay a dough rectangle over each portion of filling. Cover and freeze.
7. Cooking (frozen pie): With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Remove the cover from an aluminum pan. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 70 minutes.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site