- serves 4
In Greece, vendors serve these roasted chestnuts in paper cones, dusted with salt. It's very important to make a large X with a sharp knife so the chestnuts don't explode on the grill! Yield is 4 servings.
1 ½ lb(s) fresh chestnuts
1. Preheat the grill or gas burner on medium.
2. Make a large X with a sharp paring knife on the flat side of each chestnut.
3. Put the chestnuts in a hinged grilling rack and close the rack.
4. Put the rack on the flame and cook the chestnuts, turning them every 5 minutes or so, until shells peel away from the flesh, about 15 minutes in total.
5. Serve chestnuts in a paper cone, sprinkled with salt.