Roasted Duck Breast with Spiced Whisky Sauce and Pont-Neuf Potatoes
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 0
Ricardo Larrivée Ricardo and Friends
2 shallots, finely chopped
¼ cup honey
¼ cup whisky (scotch, bourbon, Irish whiskey, etc.)
2 cup chicken broth
4 to 6 star anise pods (to taste)
1 tsp crushed pepper
4 russet potatoes, peeled
2 cup duck fatDuck Breasts
1. In a small saucepan, cook the shallot and honey until the honey begins to caramelize. Deglaze with the whisky. Flambée to burn off the alcohol. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Season with salt. Set aside.
2. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180?C (350?F). Line a cookie sheet with paper towels or, alternatively, place a cooling rack on a cookie sheet.Pont-neuf potatoes
1. Cut the potatoes into sticks 1.5 cm (3/4 inch) thick.
2. Place the potato sticks in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with a clean dish towel.
3. Melt the duck fat in a large skillet with high sides or in a large saucepan over high heat. Fry the potatoes in the fat, stirring gently and often, until golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on the cookie sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until serving time.Duck Breasts
1. Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to score the skin of the duck breasts in a large crosshatch pattern, exposing the fat but not cutting into the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In an ovenproof skillet over medium heat, brown the breasts skin side down with the garlic and thyme until the skin is crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the rendered fat into the skillet in which the potatoes are frying. Turn the breasts and continue cooking over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to the oven and bake until done to your liking (5 to 7 minutes for medium rare). Place the breasts on a plate, tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes. If desired, degrease the cooking juices in and deglaze the skillet with the sauce.
4. Slice the duck breasts. Drizzle with the sauce. Serve with Roasted Miniature Vegetables and the pont-neuf potatoes.