Roasted Suckling Pig
- prep time20 min
- total time 170 min
- serves 6-8
One must try Chuck Hughes' glazed and golden roasted suckling pig. It is juicy, delicious and truly a feast for all your senses.
1 - 8 pounds suckling pig, cut in pieces (4.2 kg)*
4 clove of garlic, peeled
6 sprig of rosemary, minced
4 sprig of thyme, minced
2 Tbsp of sea salt (30 ml)
1 Tbsp peppercorns (15 ml)
¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)
4 shallots, halved
2 heads garlic unpeeled, halved
2 cup water (500 ml)Rapini
1 lb(s) rapini, blanched (450 g)
3 Tbsp butter (45 ml)
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C).
2. Mash together the garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or using a food processor. Slowly add the olive oil to make a paste. Score the pigskin and rub with herb mixture making sure to get inside the skin.
3. Place the pieces of meat in a large roasting pan. Add shallots, garlic heads and water to the pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Roast the suckling pig for about 2 1/2 hours. Remove the aluminum foil during the last half hour basting often with the pan drippings until the skin gets crispy and golden brown.
5. *Cook's note: Ask your butcher to cut the suckling pig for you.Rapini
1. In a pan, sauté the rapini in butter. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.