Rob Feenie's Mushroom Risotto
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 onion, finely, sliced
3 garlic, cloves
2 lb. sliced button mushroom, and/or, mushroom, trimmings
3 thyme, sprigs
water, to coverMushroom Risotto
2 cup mushroom, stock, (see preceding recipe)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 large shallot, finely, chopped
1 ½ cup risotto rice, (arborio)
½ tsp minced garlic
2 cup chanterelles
2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sweat until the mushrooms are very soft and are starting to brown.
2. Add thyme, bay leaf and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and lightly press solids to extract as much liquid as possible. For a more concentrated flavour, reduce liquid by one-third after straining.
3. Refrigerate for one week, or freeze in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag for up to one month.Mushroom Risotto
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the stock keeping at a gentle simmer. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until transparent (do not brown). Add Arborio rice and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until well coated. Stir until liquid is absorbed.
2. Slowly add 1/2 cup of hot stock; stir gently until it is absorbed. Do not stir too vigorously or you risk breaking the grains. Continue this process until the risotto has been cooking for 10 to 12 minutes. You should have a small amount of stock left over.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add one tbsp. butter and minced garlic. Add chanterelles and sauté until golden brown. Add 1/2 cup of remaining stock; add risotto and continue to cook until rice is plump and creamy, about 5 minutes. Gently fold in remaining butter. Add Parmesan and olive oil. Adjust seasoning.
4. Serve immediately.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site