Roger Mooking's Salt Cod Fritters
- prep time 20 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4
Crunchy salt cod fritters served with two tasty dipping sauces from Roger Mooking.
Roger Mooking Everyday Exotic
vegetable oil for frying
1 lb. salt cod, soaked in 1 gallon of water for 24 hours, changing water 2-3 times until cod not longer tastes of salt
3 cup flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cup 2% milk
1 cup cilantro stems and leaves, finely choppedCreamy Mustard Sauce
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp coriander seed, ground in mortar and pestle
1 tsp honey
4 sweet gherkins, minced
saltSpicy Orange Chili Sauce
1 large orange, peeled and roughly chopped
¼ red onion, roughly chopped
1 red finger chili, roughly chopped
1 green finger chili, roughly chopped
1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1. Place oil in a pot 1/3 full, heat to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with paper towel.
2. Remove salt cod from water, pat dry and roughly chop.
3. Place salt cod in a food processor and pulse until shredded. Remove salt cod, squeeze with hands to remove excess water and place in a bowl.
4. Place dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs and add to bowl with dry ingredients.
6. Add salt cod and cilantro to mixture, fold to incorporate.
7. Spoon 1 tablespoon of salt cod batter into hot oil, fry until golden brown and Salt Cod Fritters are cooked, approximately 3 minutes, turning fritters over while cooking.
8. Remove Salt Cod Fritters from hot oil, place on lined baking tray and enjoy.Creamy Mustard Sauce
1. Place all ingredients into a bowl, mix, cover and place in fridge until serving.
2. Enjoy with Salt Cod Fritters.Spicy Orange Chili Sauce
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Remove, spoon into a bowl and enjoy with Salt Cod Fritters.