These are the gorgeous, not-too-sweet Queen of all Valentines Day cookies. Dressed with sanding sugar and candy hearts, tart and sweet with raspberry jam, they prepare you perfectly to pucker up and kiss someone special.
Courtesy of Jennifer Hamilton, www.domesticgoddess.ca
jar red or pink sanding sugar (or a mix of red and white)
heart-shaped candies and/or sweet-heart candies
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, cream of tartar and baking powder and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, cream butter for about 2 minutes. Add sugar and cream until pale and fluffy (about 2 more minutes). Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly in between each. Add dry ingredients and stir until combined to cookie dough consistency. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Remove from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Cut with a 2" fluted cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps and repeat. Bake cookies on prepared sheets approximately ½" apart for about 10 minutes (do not allow to over-cook or turn brown). Cool completely.
5. Pair together when cooled with raspberry jam in middle and sparingly cover tops with a thin layer of frosting. Before icing hardens, decorate tops with a dusting of pink and white sanding sugars and candy hearts or sweet-heart candies.
Icing & Decoration
1. Combine icing sugar, butter, vanilla and milk, beating until creamy. Thin with a few more drops of milk (if necessary) to reach desired spreading consistency.