Rustic Apple, Pear and Date Pie
- serves 8
500 mL (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
30 mL (2 tablespoons) sugar
1 pinch salt
180 mL (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
60 mL (1/4 cup) ice water, approximatelyFor the Filling
6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
6 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
6 (1 cup) Medjool dates, halved lengthwise and pitted
125 mL (1/2 cup) sugar or brown sugar
1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and pulse for several seconds until the butter pieces are the size of peas. Add the egg and water. Pulse for several seconds more until the dough just begins to hold together, adding more water if necessary. Remove the dough and shape into a disc.
2. With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Invert a 30 x 43-cm (12 x 17-inch) baking sheet and line the exposed bottom with parchment paper.
3. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle slightly larger than the baking sheet. Place the dough on the inverted sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.For the Filling
1. In a bowl, combine the fruit and sugar. Arrange the fruit in the middle of the dough, leaving a margin of about 8 cm (3 inches) on all sides. Fold the edges of the dough inward to make a pie measuring about 23 x 36 cm (9 x 14 inches).
2. Bake until the crust is golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool.
3. Slide the pie onto a large cutting board. Cut into squares and serve from the board.
4. Serve with caramel sauce, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.