Salt-Baked Whole Steelhead
- prep time10 min
- total time 35 min
Courtesy of Chef Lee Cooper of L'Abattoir.
1 3-lb whole steelhead, gutted and scaled fins removed
1 lemon, sliced
1 bunch dill
1 heads fennel, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp pepper, coarsely cracked
2 egg whites
¼ cup water
6 cup sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet large enough to hold fish with parchment paper.
2. Whip eggs and salt in a large bowl until well mixed.
3. Rub fish with olive oil. Season/stuff cavity with pepper, dill, lemons and vegetables.
4. Spread a layer of salt mix on the sheet slightly larger than the fish and place stuffed fish on the salt.
5. Cover fish with remaining salt ensuring to make a complete seal all the way around the fish.
6. Bake in oven for 25 minutes and remove from oven allow to rest 10 minutes.
7. Break open crust and gently remove fillets from fish.
8. Serve with lemon wedges and a drizzle of good olive oil.