Salt Cod and Potatoes with Pepper Sauce
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 10
2 lb. boneless skinless salt cod
3/10 cup olive oil
3 onion, thinly, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup stock
1 28 oz can tomato, (with juice), chopped
1 313 mL jar roasted red pepper, drained, and, sliced
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
½ tsp pepper
5 lb. large Yukon Gold potato
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
2. In large deep bowl in refrigerator, soak salt cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing water 4 times. Taste salt cod; if still too salty, continue changing water and soaking for up to 8 hours longer. Drain and rinse; cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks. Set aside.
3. In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; cook onions, garlic and hot pepper flakes until softened and golden, about 15 minutes.
4. Add wine; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, red peppers, coriander and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick enough to mound on spoon, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 day.)
5. Peel and cut potatoes into 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick slices; toss with remaining oil. In greased 10-x 14-x 2 3/4-inch (25 x 35 x 7 cm) roasting pan, layer one-third of the potatoes; sprinkle with half each of the reserved cod then sauce. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining potatoes.
6. Bake in oven until potatoes are browned, about 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Replace plastic wrap with foil; reheat in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until hot, about 1 hour.) Let stand for 10 minutes.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site