Salt-Roasted Prime Rib of Beef
- prep time20 min
- total time 40 min
- serves 8
Chuck makes up salt-roasted beef seasoned with fresh herbs.
12 cup coarse salt
1 cup cracked black peppercorns
3 Tbsp fresh rosemary and thyme (combined)
3 cup all-purpose flour
3 egg whites, lightly whisked
3 cup water
8 - 10 pound prime rib roast
1. In a bowl stir the salt and water together and add flour for some extra binding. Froth up the egg whites with a fork, add them and blend until mixture forms a stiff paste resembling wet snow while holding it’s shape when you squeeze it together.
2. Spread the mixture to form a salt bed in the bottom of a large roasting pan, and lay roast on top fat side down.
3. Cover it all over with herbs and cracked black peppercorns., pressing into the roast to make sure it adheres well.
4. Coat it completely with the salt dough, patting it well so that when it roasts it will solidify into a solid casing. It needs to be about ¼ inch thick.
5. Roast the beef in the middle of a preheated 325 degree (165 C) oven for 20 minutes per pound to get medium rare.
6. Transfer to a cutting board, let it rest for 15 minutes and then, cut the casing open and slice in between the bones for nice manly servings. You can also remove the bones and slice thinner if you want.