Salted Caramel Pots de Crème
- prep time10 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 6
A very, very dangerous dessert worth saving room for, but be warned: it has created more than one addict.
Courtesy of Bonnie Mo.
1 cup (200 g) sugar
1 ½ cups (375 mL) heavy cream
½ cup (125 mL) whole milk
6 egg yolks
fleur de sel
1. Heat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Set six 1/2-cup (125 mL) ramekins in a shallow baking pan.
2. Melt the sugar in a skillet with 1/4 cup (60 mL) water over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring and cook to amber caramel, about 8 minutes.
3. Standing well back (the mixture will sputter), whisk in the cream and milk. Whisk the yolks in a medium bowl, then slowly stir in the milk mixture. Strain into a jug or large measuring cup.
4. Pour the custard into the ramekins. Set the baking dish in the oven, then pour in hot water from the kettle to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the dish with foil. Bake until the custard has just the slightest, slightest sense of wobble in the centre, about 30 minutes.
5. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and cool completely on a rack. Cover and chill until serving. Serve with a pinch of fleur de sel atop each.