Sausage with Caramelized Onion and Pepper
- serves 0
8 mild Italian sausages on links
4 cup ginger beer or beer
4 medium Spanish onions sliced thin
3 garlic cloves sliced thin
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp whole caraway seeds
1 tsp whole coriander seeds
3 large red peppers cut into ¼ inch strips
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 8 crusty sausage buns and your favourite mustard
Olive oil for brushing
1. Pour the beer into a large skillet; add the onions, mustard seeds, caraway seeds and coriander seeds.
2. Remove sausages from mixture, pat dry and set aside to cool.
3. Continue cooking the onion mix until all liquid is gone and a rich caramelized colour is achieved.
4. Preheat a large cast iron pan on the grill set at medium heat (350F) (175C).
5. Add oil to the pan let heat 1 minute.
6. Strain onions and garlic slices and add to the hot cast iron pan. Close the barbeque lid.
7. Stir occasionally and cook for 30 minutes, or until onion mix is golden caramelized and golden brown.
8. Add the red peppers to onion mix and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with foil until ready to use.
9. Brush sausages with olive oil.
10. Preheat barbeque to high heat 475F-500F (204-C-260C). Rub or spray grill with oil to prevent sticking.
11. Place the sausages on the grill and cook for 10 minutes (approximately 5 minutes per side) or until golden brown.
12. Remove from grill. Serve sausages with the warm onion pepper topping and with crusty buns and your favourite mustard.