Savoury Cream Cheese Profiteroles
- prep time 40 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 48 servings
1 cup (250 mL) milk
½ tablespoon (7 mL) sugar
½ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
⅓ cup (80 mL) butter
1 cup (250 mL) flourFilling
8 ounces (250 g) spreadable Canadian Cream cheese
2 tablespoons (30 mL) parsley, chopped
1 French shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon (15 mL) sun-dried tomato pesto
lettuce shoots OR fine herbs
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whip eggs and set aside.
3. In saucepan, bring milk to boil with sugar, salt and butter.
4. Add flour to saucepan and stir until thickened dough doesn’t stick to sides of saucepan.
5. Transfer to bowl and incorporate eggs a bit at a time, stirring well between additions.
6. Drop teaspoons of pastry dough onto parchment-covered cookie sheet.
7. Bake 30–40 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
8. Let cool. Store in tightly sealed container until use. Puffs may be frozen in advance.Filling
1. Mix cheese with parsley, shallot and pesto.
2. Cut puffs horizontally in two. Garnish bottoms with 2 tsp (10 ml) filling and lettuce shoots or fine herbs. Cover with top halves, then serve.