Savoury Herb Muffins
- prep time 20 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 12
4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
¾ cup apple sauce
1 ½ cups grated Gruyère cheese
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 12 muffin cups with paper or silicone liners.
2. Brown the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute more. Let cool.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat the eggs, herbs, oil and honey with an electric mixer until smooth. Set the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients, alternating with the applesauce. Add 250 ml (1 cup) Gruyère and the bacon mixture.
5. Scrape the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
6. Unmould and let cool on a rack.