Scalloped Brussels Sprouts
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
2 pounds brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups shredded gruyere cheese
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepperTopping
1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
½ cup gruyere cheddar or Gouda cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Trim brussels sprouts; cut X in base of each. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook brussels sprouts for 7 to 9 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain and chill under cold running water; press out excess water with towel. Cut in half if large; place in shallow greased 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish.
3. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and thyme, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add milk; cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt and pepper; pour over brussels sprouts.
4. Cover and bake brussels sprouts in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with topping; bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.Topping
1. In bowl, stir together bread crumbs, cheese and butter.