Serrano Ham Sandwich with Smoked Tomato Ketchup
- prep time 0 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 20
1 red onion, roughly chopped
6 clove garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
6 sprig of thyme, tied with butcher’s twine
4-6 tbsp smoked paprika
6 red peppers, roasted, peeled and roughly chopped
5 5 ½ oz can tomato paste
2 cup water
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup white vinegarSerrano Ham Sandwich
1 tsp vegetable oil
6 sprig rosemary
3 baguettes cut in ½ length-wise
500 - 600g white cheddar, thinly sliced
400 – 450g Serrano ham, thinly sliced
cornichons to garnishAssembly
Serrano Ham Sandwich
Smoked Tomato Ketchup
1. Heat olive oil in a medium Le Creuset French Oven over medium high heat.
2. Add onions and garlic, sweat until tender and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add sugar, vinegar bay leaves, thyme, smoked paprika and stir.
4. Add chopped roasted peppers, and tomato paste, stir and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
5. Add water, stir and simmer over low heat, approximately 30 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning, salt and sugar. Add vinegar.
7. Remove bay leaves and thyme from pot, place mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a container and set aside for assembly.Serrano Ham Sandwich
1. Heat a grill or panini press over medium heat and grease with vegetable oil.
2. Place rosemary on grill.
3. Drizzle olive oil along inside of baguette halves.
4. Lay cheddar on both halves of bread.
5. Place Serrano ham between cheddar, form sandwich and place on grill over rosemary.
6. Cook until golden brown, flip and weigh down with a heavy object to press sandwich.
7. Once bread is golden brown and cheese has melted, remove from heat. Cut each baguette into 10 portions.
8. Skewer cornichon with a toothpick; place through top half of Serrano Ham Sandwich.Assembly
1. Place each piece of Serrano Ham Sandwich on a plate. Spoon 2 tablespoons of Smoked Tomato Ketchup beside Sandwich and serve.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site