piece kombu (sea kelp) or dry seaweed
dark soy sauce
mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
green onions, finely chopped
minced fresh ginger
sambal oelek or any hot sauce
prime quality, well-marbled beef such as tenderloin, cut into paper-thin slices
shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and wiped clean, cut in half
green onions, cut crosswise on the diagonal into 1 1/2-inch lengths
square tofu, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
small broccoli florets
Chinese cabbage, shredded
Steamed white rice
1. Put the chicken stock and the kombu in a large pot and heat on high heat.
2. Just before it boils, remove the kombu and discard.
3. Keep the broth hot over low heat.
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
1. Arrange the meat slices and vegetables separately on large platters.
2. To serve, fill a fondue pot with the chicken stock and keep it hot over a burner.
3. Each diner picks up slices of meat and vegetables with chopsticks and swishes it back and forth in the hot broth until cooked to taste.
4. Dip the cooked meat and vegetables in the Ponzu dipping sauce and serve the Shabu Shabu with steamed white rice on the side.
5. When all the meat and veggies are cooked, serve the broth as soup.