Directions for: Shepherd's Pie with "Squashed" Potatoes
Meat and Vegetables
lb(s) (680 g) extra-lean ground beef
cup chopped yellow onions
tsp minced garlic
tsp dried thyme
cup frozen peas-and-carrots blend
cup frozen or canned corn
cup reduced-sodium beef broth
Tbsp chili sauce (such as Heinz)
Tbsp all-purpose flour
Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
lb(s) (908 g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
cup (about 1/2 lb / 250 g) peeled and chopped butternut squash
cup light (3% to 5 %) sour cream
cup + 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
Meat and Vegetables
1. To make filling, cook beef, onions, and garlic in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Stir in paprika and thyme. Cook 1 more minute. Add peas and carrots and corn. Mix well.
2. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, whisk together broth, chili sauce, flour and Worcestershire sauce. Add to meat mixture in pot, along with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm while you prepare potato topping.
1. To make topping, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 2 inches (salt water if desired). Bring to a boil. Add squash. Cook until both potatoes and squash are tender, about 12 to 14 minutes. Drain potatoes and squash in a colander. Return to pot. Sprinkle ½ cup Parmesan over vegetables. Cover with lid and let stand 1 minute for cheese to melt. Add sour cream, salt and (tiny!) dash nutmeg. Mash well using a potato masher. Try to get out as many lumps as possible.
2. To assemble casserole, spread meat mixture evenly over the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with potato/squash mixture. Fluff with fork so small peaks are formed. Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan over potatoes. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes, until bubbly around edges and completely heated through. Remove from oven. Sprinkle top with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving (it’s hot!).
3. Tip: Cut potatoes and squash into equal-size pieces for even cooking.