Shredded Pork Tamales
- serves 12
2 cup Masa Harina (500 ml)
1 tsp salt (5 ml)
1 ½ tsp cayenne (7.5 ml)
1 ¼ cup homo milk, scalded and cooled (315 ml)
½ lb(s) salted butter (227 g)Shredded Pork Filling
½ cup recipe of Mexican Braised Pork, meat shredded
¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander (65 ml)
Salt and pepperAssembly
1 large bunch corn husks, soaked overnight to soften
Shredded pork filling
1. Combine the Masa Harina, salt and cayenne in a mixing bowl and mix on low speed to combine.
2. Add the cooled milk to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
3. Remove the dough to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until very soft, light and fluffy – almost white in colour.
5. Slowly start adding the masa dough to the butter in chunks, allowing each addition to be fully combined.Shredded Pork Filling
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and season to tasteAssembly
1. Set up a steamer over medium-high heat.
2. Lay one corn husk on the counter and place ¼ cup of masa dough on the husk. Spread the masa out to a 3 inch/8 cm square.
3. Place 1 tbsp (30 ml) of shredded pork filling on the masa.
4. Roll the corn husk around the filling and secure the top and bottom by tying with strips of corn husk. Do not roll the husks up too tightly to allow for expansion during cooking.
5. When all the tamales have been prepared, place the tamales in the steamer and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the steamer and serve.