Simply The Best Shortbread Cookies
- prep time1 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 24
There are many short bread recipes out there, but this is the only one you'll ever need.
1 cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup sugar
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 275ºF (140ºC).
2. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cornstarch, then sugar.
3. With wooden spoon, beat in flour, about 1/4 cup (50 mL) at a time.
4. On lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, roll out dough to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness.
5. Using floured fluted 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
6. Place on waxed paper-lined trays; prick each cookie 3 times with a fork. Freeze until firm. (Shortbread can be prepared to this point, transferred to freezer bags and stored in freezer for up to one month.)
7. Place frozen cookies on baking sheet.
8. Bake in oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from baking sheet and let cool on racks.
9. (Shortbread can be stored in airtight containers for up to two weeks.)