Skinny Down-Home Chicken Pot Pie
- prep time 20 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 6
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 leek, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery
2 red potato, skin on, diced
2 turnip, peeled and diced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 ½ cups chicken stock
4 sheets of phyllo dough
1 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Thaw 4 sheets of phyllo dough overnight in the refrigerator or one hour before using. Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and reserve warm.
2. In a 6-quart pot, add the olive oil and flour and cook to a blonde roux. Add the onion, garlic, leek, carrot, celery, red potato, and turnips and stir with a wooden spoon, making sure the bottom does not get too dry. Add the chicken, bay leaf and sprigs of thyme and continue stirring for about 3 minutes, so that everything is coated with the roux.
3. Add the warm chicken stock, stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the color into the mixture and keep it from scorching. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Let the mixture simmer, covered, for another 5-7 minutes until it becomes thick and the chicken is partially cooked (it should look white at this point). Remove from heat and reserve.
4. Meanwhile, take 4 sheets of phyllo dough and, with a knife, cut out a square slightly larger than the rim of the 9 x 9 cake pan and brush with some olive oil. Set aside.
5. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the chicken mixture and, using a ladle or serving spoon, transfer the chicken to the cake pan. Top with the phyllo dough and carefully tuck under edges. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 F for 30 minutes, turning the tray around halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, cut into six portions and serve hot.