Slow Roasted Holiday Ham & Vinetara (Icelandic Holiday Cake)
- prep time 20 min
- total time 415 min
- serves 12-16
1 large bone-in smoked ham, about 10 lbs (4 kg)
½ cup honey
¾ cup coarse grainy mustardVinetara Filling
1 lb. pitted prunes
½ cup reserved soaking liquid from prunes
¾ cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cinnamonVinetara Assembly Vinetara Shortbread Layers
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp half-and-half cream
¾ tsp almond extract
1 tsp ground cardamom
4 cup all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan and score the skin on top. Pour about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan. Place in oven and bake, uncovered, for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Stir honey and mustard together and spoon half of glaze over ham and baste, cooking for 1 ½ hours more.
4. Carve ham and serve with remaining glaze.Vinetara Filling
1. Cover prunes with water in a saucepot and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain liquid, reserving 1/2 cup.
2. Puree prunes in a food processor. Spoon puree back into pot; add reserved liquid and sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until filling becomes thick. Allow to cool before filling cake.Vinetara Assembly
1. Alternate pastry layers with equal amounts of prune filling, finishing with a top pastry layer.
2. To serve, dust top of torte with icing sugar. Refrigerate cake before serving. As the cake chills, the layers will soften.Vinetara Shortbread Layers
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). In a bowl or in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until fluffy.
2. Add sugar gradually and beat until smooth.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sifted baking powder, cream, almond extract and cardamom. Work in flour. Dough will resemble shortbread.
4. Divide dough into 7 equal parts. Roll dough into rounds, just over 1/4-inch thick. Cut a disc using a 9-inch pan to trace. Using a palette knife or the bottom of a removable tart pan, gently slide disc onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (you should be able to fit 2 discs onto a sheet).
5. Continue rolling and cutting remaining 5 pieces. Bake until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site