Smoke Pork Hock Terrine with Rhubarb Compote and Pickled Vegetable Salad
- prep time1 min
- total time 125 min
- serves 4
Recipe by Connie DeSousa from Top Chef Canada Episode 13.
2 L of water
juice of 1 lemon, lemon halves reserved
4 sprig thyme
2 clove garlic
2 ½ Tbsp honey
1 ½ cup salt
2 bay leaves
½ lb(s) pork tenderloinSmoked Pork Tenderloin
2 cup wood chips
6 cup ice
Brined Pork TenderloinSmoked Pork Hock Terrine
1 lb(s) pork shoulder, ground
¼ lb(s) back fat, ground
½ cup 35% cream
½ cup dried white bread crumbs
1 ½ lb(s) smoked pork hock, diced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp mace
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp clove
2 Tbsp black pepper
1 sprig rosemary, leaved picked and finely chopped
¼ cup gelatin powder
Brined and Smoked Pork Tenderloin
water, boilingRhubarb Compote
1 cup rhubarb, diced
½ cup sugar
pinch saltPickled Vegetable Salad
½ cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
½ cup salt
1 red beet, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
1 yellow beet, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
¼ tsp caraway seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 bunch frisee, inner leaves only, cleaned
¼ cup tarragon, leaves picked
¼ cup chives, sliced in 1 inch batons
¼ cup edible flower petalsAssembly
Smoked Pork Hock Terrine, cut into 1 inch thick slices
Pickled Vegetable Salad
¼ baguette, cut in ¼ inch slices, toasted
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot, except for pork tenderloin over medium-high heat.
2. Bring to a boil and remove from heat to cool.
3. Add pork tenderloin to cooled Brine, place in fridge for 12 hours.
4. Remove pork tenderloin from Brine, pat dry and place on a cooling rack. Place in fridge to chill for Smoked Pork Tenderloin recipe, approximately 1 hour.Smoked Pork Tenderloin
1. Soak 1 cup of wood chips in water for 10 minutes and prepare an ice bath.
2. Preheat oven to 200F.
3. Place another cup of dry wood chips in a foil packet. Place directly over the flame of a stove (or over the hot coals of a barbeque).
4. Once wood chips begin to smoke, poke holes in packet, add soaked wood chips, place in a Le Creuset Roasting Pan and immediately place in bottom of oven to retain smoke.
5. Fill a roasting pan with ice. Place cooling rack with Brined Pork Tenderloin over roasting pan and place in oven.
6. Cold smoke in oven until Brined Pork Tenderloin is tender and has reached an internal temperature of 145F, approximately 1 – 1½ hours.Smoked Pork Hock Terrine
1. Line a Le Creuset Terrine Mould with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix ground pork and back fat, place in fridge to chill for 1 hour.
3. In a bowl, whisk cream and eggs together. Add breadcrumbs to make a panache and mix. Set aside until breadcrumbs absorb custard, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 300F.
5. Add diced pork hock and panache to bowl with ground pork. Add salt, spices and rosemary, mix to incorporate.
6. Place ½ of mixture along bottom of terrine, leaving a trench along centre.
7. Sprinkle gelatin on Brined and Smoked Pork Tenderloin. Place in the trench of the terrine.
8. Place remaining mixture on top of Brined and Smoked Pork Tenderloin.
9. Pour boiling water in a large stainless steel roasting pan 1/3 full to create a bain- marie to cook Smoked Pork Hock Terrine evenly. Cover terrine mould with lid and place in roasting pan with bain- marie.
10. Cook in oven until terrine reaches an internal temperature to 145F.
11. Chill Smoked Pork Hock Terrine in fridge for 24 hours before serving.Rhubarb Compote
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and set aside to macerate, approximately 1 hour.
2. Heat all ingredients in a medium Le Creuset Saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook until liquid reduces and rhubarb becomes tender, approximately 10 minutes. Set aside for assembly.Pickled Vegetable Salad
1. Boil vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a small Le Creuset Saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Place red beets in a bowl. Place yellow beets and carrots in separate bowls. Divide liquid over vegetables and toss. Add caraway seeds to carrots and yellow beets.
3. Place bowls in fridge to chill, approximately 30 minutes.
4. Strain pickling liquid, place beets and carrots in a small bowl.
5. Add remaining ingredients, except for edible flowers, toss and set aside for assembly.Assembly
1. Place a piece of Smoked Pork Hock Terrine on one side of each plate
2. Spoon 1½ tablespoons of Rhubarb Compote in the centre of each plate.
3. Place equal amounts of Pickled Vegetable Salad beside Rhubarb Compote.
4. Garnish with edible flowers.
5. Place 2 pieces of toasted baguette beside Smoked Pork Hock Terrine and serve.