Smoked Lake Rainbow Trout
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
2 fresh rainbow trout filets scaled, bones removed
2 cup dry hickory wood chips
4 cup hickory wood chips soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained
Thin crackers or thin rye breadMarinade
½ cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp ginger freshly grated
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Fresh pepperLemon Dill Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp grainy mustard
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
Pepper to tasteDirections
1. Place the marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix.
2. Place the fish fillets into a sealable plastic bag.
3. Pour marinade over fish, seal the bag and place the fish into the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
4. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest, juice, mustard, and chopped dill in a small bowl. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
5. Prepare the smoke pouches. Place on a large sheet of foil down on a counter top. Place 2 cups of the drained, well soaked wood chips and one cup of the dry chips at the center of the foil. Wrap the foil around the wood chips to make a sealed pouch slightly smaller than your barbeque burner. Using the tines of a fork poke holes into both sides of the package through which the smoke will escape.
6. Repeat this so that you have 2 smoke pouches ready.
7. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking and cooking at 220°F (104°C). Remove the grate from one side of the barbeque. Turn this burner on medium. Oil the remaining grates and leave those burners off.
8. Place one smoke pouch directly over the heat close lid and wait for smoke.
9. Once smoking, adjust temperature if necessary to keep at 220°F (104°C).
10. Place the trout on the oiled grill grates where there is no direct heat. Close lid and smoke for 20-30 minutes changing the smoke pouch if necessary.
11. The fish is done when it begins to flake and has a slight translucent center.
12. Remove the fish from the grill. Serve small portions of the fish with a spoonful of the lemon dill sauce on a thin cracker or bread slice.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site