Smoked Rainbow Trout
8 8 oz rainbow trout fillets (120 g)
1 oz salt (30 g)
1 ½ oz sugar (46 g)
1 Tbsp ground black pepper (15 ml)
½ zest zest of half a lemon
½ zest zest of half a lime
8 juniper berries, crushed in mortar and pestle
1 Tbsp gin (15 ml)
½ lb(s) woodchips (apple, maple or cherry wood) (227 g)
2 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1 bunch small bunch chives
freshly grated horseradish, to taste
2 lemons, cut in half, grilled
1 heads Boston bibb lettuce, torn in pieces
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 small small Daikon radish, thinly sliced
4 red radishes, thinly sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup safflower oil
½ cup warm water or vegetable stock
½ cup safflower oil (125 ml)
7 Tbsp warm water or vegetable stock (100 ml)
½ cup champagne vinegar (125 ml)
2 Tbsp sugar (30 ml)
1 Tbsp salt or fine sea salt (15 ml)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (5 ml)
1 small shallot, minced finely
Smoked Rainbow Trout
1. Season the trout fillets with salt, sugar, pepper, lemon zest, lime zest, gin. Set aside.
2. Preheat outside barbecue (barbecue needs a lid) to medium high.
3. Soak wood chips in water for 5 minutes. Put chips in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan with oven-proof handles and place on preheated outside barbecue. When chips get hot and start smoking, about 10 to 20 minutes, add thyme, rosemary and juniper to the woodchips.
4. Put trout fillets, skin side down, on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet on the upper rack of the barbecue. (Keep sauté pan of wood chips on the barbecue on the lower rack of barbecue.)
5. Close the lid of your barbecue and turn down the heat to the lowest setting. Smoke the trout for about 15 to 25 minutes or until trout fillets are cooked through.
6. Remove the smoked trout fillets from barbecue and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Grate fresh horseradish over the smoked trout and garnish with grilled lemon halves. If you like serve with a simple salad.
1. Combine Boston bib lettuce, cucumber, daikon radish, red radishes and red onion in a large bowl. Toss with vinaigrette to taste. Season with salt and pepper. (There may be extra vinaigrette.) Serve with Smoked Rainbow Trout.
1. Combine together safflower oil, warm water or vegetable stock, champagne vinegar, sugar, salt, Dijon and shallot and whisk until combined and sugar dissolved, about a minute. Set aside to dress salad.