Smoked Trout Rillettes
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
¾ cup (180 ml) 35% cream
1 French shallot, thinly sliced
2 fresh thyme stems
½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) black peppercorns, cracked
2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsalted butter
5 ounces (150 g) smoked trout, sliced
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon (15 ml) brandy
1. In a saucepan, bring to a boil the cream, shallot, thyme, pepper and butter. Let reduce to half over medium heat.
2. Pour the cream through a strainer and return it to the saucepan.
3. Add the trout and continue cooking over medium heat for 3 minutes while stirring.
4. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks and the brandy.
5. While whisking, pour a small amount of hot cream to temperate mixture.
6. Pour this mixture into the saucepan and reheat while whisking.
7. Pour the Rillettes into two ramekins that can contain a 1/2 cup (125 ml) and cover with a plastic film. Refrigerate 3 hours.
8. Serve with croutons and pickles. Notes: Rillettes are better when served slightly temperate. If you wish to un-mold the Rillettes, it will be necessary to line the ramekins with a plastic film. If mixture separates, just add 1 tbsp of cream and whisk.