Smoked White Cheddar Macaroni
- prep time 0 min
- total time 100 min
- serves 8
1 lb. small elbow macaroni
4 cup white cheddar cut into small squares
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
10 slices of super crispy bacon
2 cup fresh chopped or tomatoes drained
1 medium onion, diced
Salt and pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
2 tomatoes sliced ¼ inch thick
3 cup apple wood chips
6 cup soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
2. Toss the pasta into the pot and cook for 7-8 minutes until the pasta is “el dente” (which means “to the tooth” having a slight firmness in the centre).
3. Drain the pasta and place back into the pot. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
4. Coat the bottom of a large cast iron pan with a ¼ cup layer of the tomatoes. Next add ¼ of the diced onion, 1 cup of cheese, ¼ cup of Parmesan, crumble 3 slices of bacon, and finally top with a single layer of macaroni. Repeat this process for 3 layers, finish the top with cheese cubes, grated Parmesan, and tomato slices.
5. Prepare smoke pouches. Lay out a large sheet of tin foil. Place 2 cups of the drained, well soaked wood chips and one cup of the dry chips at the center of the foil. Wrap the foil around the wood chips to make a sealed pouch slightly smaller than your barbeque burner. Using the tines of a fork poke holes into both sides of the package through which the smoke will escape. Repeat this two more times for a total of three smoke pouches.
6. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Remove the grate from one burner to the far side of the grill and turn this burner on high. Leave 2 the remaining burners off.
7. Place the smoke pouch directly over the flame. Close the lid of the barbeque and wait for smoke.
8. Adjust the heat to 300°F (176°C).
9. Place the Mac and cheese on the grill over the side with no heat.
10. Close lid and smoke for 1.5 hours or until the cheese is crispy on top. The cheddar will take on a nice Smokey apple wood flavour.
11. Remove and eat.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site