So Good Pumpkin Pie
- prep time 25 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 12
⅔ cup (150 ml) all-purpose flour
⅔ cup (150 ml) whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon (2 ml) salt
⅓ cup (75 ml) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine
4 tablespoons (60 ml) ice water
1 tablespoon (15 ml) plain yogurt, preferably 1%
1 teaspoon (5 ml) white vinegarFilling
14-oz (398 ml) can unsweetened pure pumpkin
1 cup (250 ml) evaporated milk, preferably 1%
2 egg whites
⅔ cup (150 ml) brown sugar
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla
1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml) cinnamon
½ teaspoon (2 ml) each of ground nutmeg and ground ginger
1 pinch allspice and salt each
1. See Filling directions.Filling
1. In a medium bowl, stir flour with salt. Using your finger tips or pastry cutter, mix in Becel® Buttery Taste margarine just until large crumbs begin to form. Whisk water with yogurt and vinegar. While stirring flour mixture with a fork, gradually add just enough water mixture for dough to come together. Gather into a ball and place on a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic wrap overtop, then use plastic to flatten dough into a disc. Seal with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin with evaporated milk, egg, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, spices and salt until evenly blended.
3. Set oven rack on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll dough between large pieces of plastic wrap to form a circle measuring about 12-inches (30 cm). Discard top piece of plastic and ease dough into pie plate. If dough is a little sticky, brush with flour. Trim dough so only ½-inch (1 cm) of dough overhangs pie plate. Then fold overhanging dough so it meets the edge of the pie plate. Crimp edges.
4. Spoon in filling, smoothing surface. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue to bake for 20-30 minutes until centre of pie is just set when wiggled. Cool completely.
5. Tip: Serve with vanilla yogurt or light sour cream sweetened with brown sugar and a splash of vanilla.