- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
1 lb. bacon, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 heads garlic, separated, peeled and sliced
2 red peppers, chopped
3 -5 heaping spoonfuls chili powder
2 lb. ground beef
2 x 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes
19 oz can black beans
19 oz can kidney beans
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add bacon.
2. Add a splash of water and let the bacon render its fat.
3. As the water evaporates, the bacon will brown.
4. Pour off excess fat and add the onions, garlic and peppers.
5. Cook until they are softened and just beginning to caramelize.
6. Add chili powder and ground beef and stir well, chopping the beef up with a wooden spoon.
7. Add tomatoes and beans and season with salt and pepper.
8. Simmer for an hour.
9. If you have a chance, make this a day in advance and reheat when needed. The flavours will brighten and meld as it rests overnight.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site