Spicy Maple Pumpkin Pie
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
⅓ cup cold vegetable shortening
⅓ cup ice waterFilling
1 14 ounce pure pumpkin puree
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup whipping (35 %) cream
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
Whipped cream for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour and salt.
3. With a pastry cutter or two knives, blend in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add the ice water gradually, stirring with a fork until dough forms.
5. Pat the dough into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13-inch round.
7. Place it in a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges in a decorative pattern.
8. Pierce the bottom with a fork.
9. Place a piece of parchment or foil in the shell.
10. Fill the shell with pie weights or dried beans.
11. Freeze the raw pie shell for 30 minutes.
12. Bake for 20 minutes.
13. Remove the pie weights and paper and bake another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
14. Cool on a wire rack.Filling
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to blend well.
3. Pour filling into cooled baked pie shell.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until filling is set but a spot in the middle the size of quarter is still soft.
5. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
6. Serve pie with dollops of whipped cream for garnish.