Spicy Seared Tuna Sandwich
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
4 slices sprouted grain bread
2 4 ounce pieces of sushi grade tuna, cut into long rectangular pieces
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
a handful of baby arugula
"Mega Omega Mayonnaise" (see recipe)
some organic hot sauce (or at the very least, one without artificial preservatives and colouring)
1 tomato, sliced
Unrefined sea salt to taste
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Heat a cast iron pan on the stove top to medium high heat.
2. Once hot, add coconut oil. Liberally salt and lightly pepper the tuna pieces and add them to the pan. As each side browns, turn the tuna over, repeating until all 4 sides are browned (you can leave the ends uncooked).
3. ). How long you leave the tuna cooking on each side will depend on how rare you like it (note: for tuna above medium you may wish to transfer the pan to a hot oven for a few minutes). But remember - the rarer the tuna the more omega 3 fats* will be preserved. I recommend cooking the tuna to a nice medium rare for this sandwich, which means the outsides of the tuna will be cooked, while a raw purple centre about the width of a nickel remains. This will mean cooking each side of the tuna for a minute or so.
4. Once cooked, set tuna aside to stand for a few minutes.
5. Take a spoonful of the Mega Omega Mayonnaise and mix it in a bowl with the hot sauce making a spicy mayonnaise. Add the hot sauce a little at a time, testing as you go, to avoid ending up with something spicier than your tastes dictate.
6. Using a sharp knife (a serrated knife my be preferable), slice tuna into thin slices. Compose sandwich with the bread, mayo, arugula, tomato and tuna. Enjoy