Spinach and Onion Pakoras with Pear and Mint Chutney
- prep time 10 min
- total time 28 min
- serves 16-20 pakoras, 450 ml of chutney
1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
1 large onion, sliced thinly
2 cups chick pea flour
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, crushed with hands
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
salt and pepper
1 cup yogurt
½ cup water
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Pear and Mint Chutney (see recipe)Pear and Mint Chutney
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
2 extra ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped (Anjou or Bartlett)
1 cup mint, chopped
1 pinch salt
1. Place spinach, onion, spices, chick pea flour, yogurt and water into a large bowl. Season with salt and stir until well combined.
2. Pour oil into a large pot with a heavy bottom and heat to °350. Carefully drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil and fry until they rise to the surface and are golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Drain on a rack lined with paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt.
3. Serve pakoras with Pear and Mint Chutney.Pear and Mint Chutney
1. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When hot, add onion and cook for 3 minutes, until it's very soft. Add cardamom and fennel seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside.
2. Put the pears into a food processor along with the mint and the onion mixture. Season with some salt and then puree until it has a smooth but slightly chunky texture. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.