- serves 6
Dig into this warm spinach pie, filled with crumbled feta cheese, onions, garlic, fresh dill and - you guessed it - spinach!
Courtesy of Debbie Parker of Highlevel Diner
7 sheet phyllo pastry
2 lb(s) frozen chopped spinach
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup onions, diced
2 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
½ lb(s) feta cheese, crumbled
4 oz fresh dill, finely diced
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Thaw spinach and squeeze out all excess water, set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add garlic and onions. Cook until soft.
4. While onions and garlic are cooking add feta, fresh dill, hot sauce and black pepper to spinach, mix well by hand.
5. Let onion/garlic mix cool, but make sure it’s still warm (helps to break up the feta!). Then add onion/ garlic mix to spinach mix and combine well.
6. Add 2 eggs, mix again.
7. Brush 1 cookie sheet with oil, set aside.
8. Unwrap and pull off 1 piece of phyllo pastry; laying flat on the counter, brush with oil, then drag on another, brush again with oil, repeat until you have 7 layers.
9. Scoop spinach mixture in a row on bottom third of phyllo, make sure ends are full to the edge, spread out evenly.
10. Roll up tightly and place in middle of cookie sheet.
11. Crack reserved egg and brush on top of wrapped phyllo.
12. Bake in oven for about 35-45 minutes until golden brown.