Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni With Homemade Tomato Sauce
- prep time 0 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 8
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oilCannelloni Filling
2 egg, lightly, beaten
1 10 ounce package spinach, trimmed, cooked, drained, and, chopped
1 454 gram tub ricotta cheese
4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepperHomemade Tomato Sauce
2 28 ounce cans plum tomato
6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
6 sprigs fresh basil, leaves
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, halved
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
2 teaspoons salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Mound flour on counter or in large bowl.
3. Make a hole in the centre.
4. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and oil. Pour into hole in flour.
5. Mix with fork, incorporating small amounts of flour at a time, until soft dough forms.
6. Knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour if necessary, until firm, smooth dough forms. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
7. Cut dough into 4 to 6 equal pieces. Using pasta machine, roll one piece at a time through first setting twice. Continue through settings until smooth, thin pasta piece is formed.
8. Lay flat on floured surface and let dry for about 15 to 30 minutes. Continue with remaining dough.
9. Cut each strip of dough into 4 or 6-inch (10 to 15 cm) rectangles.
10. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for approx 3 minutes. Drain onto damp towel; continue until all pasta is cooked.Cannelloni Filling
1. In large bowl, stir together eggs, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, salt and pepper.
2. Place about 2 heaping tablespoons into centre of each pasta piece. Roll up to form cylinder shape.
3. Pour enough pasta sauce in bottom of 9x13-inch (3L) glass baking dish to cover.
4. Place cannelloni snugly to fill pan.
5. Pour remaining sauce over top.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
7. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes.
8. Yield: 24 cannelloniHomemade Tomato Sauce
1. In food mill or blender, purée tomatoes until smooth; pour into large saucepan.
2. Add parsley, onion, garlic, oil, oregano, hot pepper flakes and salt, and bring to boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Cook for about 2 hours or until reduced slightly and thickened.
5. Yield: about 6 cups (1.5 L) of sauce.
6. Tip: If you jar your own tomatoes, use two 750 mL jars of tomatoes or homemade tomato purée.