Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni With Homemade Tomato Sauce
- prep time 0 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 8
2 cup all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oilCannelloni Filling
2 egg, lightly, beaten
1 10 oz package spinach, trimmed, cooked, drained, and, chopped
1 454 g tub ricotta cheese
4 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
3 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepperHomemade Tomato Sauce
2 28 oz cans plum tomato
6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
6 sprigs fresh basil, leaves
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, halved
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp dried oregano
¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Mound flour on counter or in large bowl.
3. Make a hole in the centre.
4. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and oil. Pour into hole in flour.
5. Mix with fork, incorporating small amounts of flour at a time, until soft dough forms.
6. Knead for about 5 minutes, adding more flour if necessary, until firm, smooth dough forms. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
7. Cut dough into 4 to 6 equal pieces. Using pasta machine, roll one piece at a time through first setting twice. Continue through settings until smooth, thin pasta piece is formed.
8. Lay flat on floured surface and let dry for about 15 to 30 minutes. Continue with remaining dough.
9. Cut each strip of dough into 4 or 6-inch (10 to 15 cm) rectangles.
10. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for approx 3 minutes. Drain onto damp towel; continue until all pasta is cooked.Cannelloni Filling
1. In large bowl, stir together eggs, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, salt and pepper.
2. Place about 2 heaping tablespoons into centre of each pasta piece. Roll up to form cylinder shape.
3. Pour enough pasta sauce in bottom of 9x13-inch (3L) glass baking dish to cover.
4. Place cannelloni snugly to fill pan.
5. Pour remaining sauce over top.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
7. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes.
8. Yield: 24 cannelloniHomemade Tomato Sauce
1. In food mill or blender, purée tomatoes until smooth; pour into large saucepan.
2. Add parsley, onion, garlic, oil, oregano, hot pepper flakes and salt, and bring to boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Cook for about 2 hours or until reduced slightly and thickened.
5. Yield: about 6 cups (1.5 L) of sauce.
6. Tip: If you jar your own tomatoes, use two 750 mL jars of tomatoes or homemade tomato purée.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site