- prep time 0 min
- total time 10 min
- serves 6
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
1 cup corn syrup (250 ml)
1 tablespoon vanilla (15 ml)
1 tablespoon baking soda (15 ml)
1. Combine sugar, syrup, and vanilla in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Continue to cook to 300F (hard crack stage), about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, using a wooden spoon, stir in baking soda quickly (it will become frothy). Pour into an 8 x 8 in (20 x 20 cm) pan, lined with parchment paper and buttered.
4. Let cool for about 30 minutes and break into pieces.
5. Note: You can use a candy thermometer or a simple trick: take a spoon and drop a tiny drizzle of the mixture into a bowl of water – if it crystalizes, you’ve reached the hard crack stage.