Squash Ravioli with Sage and Walnut Butter
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
2 cups flour, (approximately)
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggSquash Ravioli with Sage and Walnut Butter
½ butternut squash, (about 1 pound, 2 ounces/500 g)
½ cup smooth ricotta cheese, drained
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup butter
½ cup thinly sliced shallot
24 fresh sage, leaves
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
¼ teaspoon pepper
1. Follow squash roasting directions before beginning pasta preparation.
2. On a work surface or in a bowl, whisk flour with salt; make a well in the centre and add eggs. With a fork, beat eggs, gradually incorporating flour around edge, until soft ragged dough forms. Knead until smooth, adding more flour if necessary. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before using.)
3. Divide dough into quarters. Roll each out to thinnest setting on pasta machine or with rolling pin, to 35 x 6-inch (60 x 15 cm) strip that's 1/16th (1/5 mm) inch thick.Squash Ravioli with Sage and Walnut Butter
1. Place squash, cut side down, in roasting pan; roast in oven until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove peel and place flesh in bowl; mash to make 1 1/2 cups (375 mL). Let cool. Mix in ricotta, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) of the salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. Place 1 tablespoon (15 mL) squash mixture per ravioli along strip of dough, leaving 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) space between one another. Cover with second pasta sheet; gently press around each mound of filling to seal and eliminate air pockets. Cut between mounds into squares with pastry wheel. Repeat with remaining pasta.
3. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook ravioli until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon or scoop and place in warmed bowls.
4. Meanwhile, heat butter in skillet over medium-high heat, fry shallots until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add sage leaves; saute for 30 seconds. Add walnuts; cook for 2 minutes. Season with pepper and remaining salt. Pour over ravioli.