Steamed Carrot Cake with Honey Yogurt Frosting
- serves 0
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup buttermilk
¾ cup molasses
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup apple sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cup grated carrots
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup dried figs
¼ cup slivered candied ginger (4 nice slices)
2 Tbsp grated orange rindDry Ingredients
2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg (grated fresh with whole nutmeg)Honey Yogurt Frosting
1 750 g container plain yogurt
2 layers of cheesecloth
2 -3 tbsp liquid honey
A pinch kosher salt
A few gratings of lemon peel
A few gratings of orange peel for the cake garnish
1. In one large bowl combine sugar, crumbs and all wet ingredients.Dry Ingredients
1. Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture and stir till just combined. Don’t over stir.
2. Pour your batter into a well greased pudding mold or heatproof bowl and cover tightly. (you can also use leftover tin cans like a large tuna can, for example).
3. Immerse in a water bath to come 1/3 way up the sides of your mold. Cover with a lid or tin foil.
4. Steam for 1 ½ hours in a preheated 350 degree oven.
5. Serve warm with a drizzle of your frosting.Honey Yogurt Frosting
1. Empty a carton of plain yogurt (without gelatin or other thickeners) into a strainer lined with a double layer of cheesecloth (or paper coffee filter), and place over a bowl. Cover with wrap and refrigerate overnight.
2. 6 - 8 hours later, the yogurt has released about 1 ¼ cups water and has the consistency of soft cream cheese.
3. Add the liquid honey to taste, a pinch of salt, a few gratings of lemon peel. Mix well.
4. Slather over the warm cake. Garnish with some fresh grated orange zest right on top.