Strawberry Meringue Tarts
- prep time 60 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 6
1 ¼ cup pastry flour, sifted
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
¼ Tbsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
1 egg yolk
½ tsp white vinegar
2-3 tbsp cold waterFor the Filling:
3 cup quartered strawberries
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
3 Tbsp cornstarchFor the Meringue:
5 large egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
½ cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1. For crust, blend flour, sugar and salt in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Cut in butter, on low speed, until a rough crumbly texture. Whisk egg yolks with vinegar and 3 Tbsp of cold water. Add all at once to flour mixture and blend. If dough does not work itself together, add remaining 1 Tbsp water. Shape dough into a log, wrap in plastic and chill.
2. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to just under 1/4-inch thick and line six 3 ½-inch tart shells. Trim tart shells and chill 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place tart shells on a baking tray and dock bottoms with a fork. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until bottoms appear dry and edges brown just lightly. Let cool.For the Filling:
1. For filling, stir strawberries with sugar, lemon juice and ½ cup water. Let sit for 20 minutes. Strain away liquid into a small pot. Bring liquid up to a simmer. Stir cornstarch with remaining 2 tablespoons water and whisk into simmering liquid. Stir until thickened, then remove from heat to cool. Once cooled, fold into strawberries and spoon into baked tart shells. Chill while preparing meringue.For the Meringue:
1. For meringue, preheat oven to 400°F. Whip egg whites with lemon juice on one speed lower than high and gradually add sugar while whipping to stiff peaks. Stir in cornstarch and pipe or dollop over strawberry filling. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes until browned then cool and chill until ready to serve.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site