Stuffed Cabbage with Three Cheeses
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 6
10 leaves from a Savoie cabbage
1 ½ cup (375 ml) leek, finely sliced
2 Tbsp (30 ml) softened butter
¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
¼ lb(s) (115 g) Riopelle cheese or other triple cream Brie, without rind
¼ lb(s) (115 g) Oka cheese, Iberville or other washed rind cheese, without rind and cut in cubes
6 Russet potatoes peeled and cut with a mandolin in 1/8 in. (3mm) thick slices
3 cup (750 ml) milk
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 whole garlic clove
1 The top part of a small butternut squash, peeled and sliced with a mandolin
¼ lb(s) (115 g) Gré des Champs cheese or other firm cheese, without rind and grated
Salt and pepper
1. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the cabbage leaves for about 4 minutes or until tender. Drain under cold water and set aside.
2. In a skillet, cook the leeks in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of butter until tender.
3. Add the wine and let reduce until almost dry.
4. Add salt and pepper. Add the Brie and the washed rind cheese.
5. Stir until the cheese has melted. Adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
6. In the same skillet, put the potatoes, milk, thyme and garlic. Add salt and pepper.
7. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are al dente.
8. Stir a few times so that the milk doesn't stick. Remove the thyme and garlic clove.
9. Drain the potatoes and return the milk to the skillet. Add the squash and again bring to a boil.
10. Simmer over medium heat or until the squash is al dente. Drain and set aside.
11. Position the oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
12. Line the bottom of a 9 in. (23 cm) spring /hinged mold with parchment paper.
13. Put 1 large cabbage leaf in the bottom of the mold. Line the sides of the mold with 6 leaves letting them stick out. Put another leaf in the bottom. Add 2/3 of the potatoes.
14. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Press lightly and spread the mixture of leek and cheese.
15. Add the rest of the potatoes, the cheese and squash.
16. Put a cabbage leaf on top. Fold the leaves toward the center and put a final cabbage leaf.
17. Wrap the mold in two sheets of aluminium foil. Put the mould on a cookie sheet.
18. Bake in the oven 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Put a plate on top. Let stand for 15 minutes.
19. Remove the mold and serve with a green salad.