Sweet Banana Peanut Butter Cookies
- serves 12
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp saltFilling
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ Tbsp golden brown sugar
½ Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp rum
2 bananas, sliced
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup smooth peanut butterTo Assemble
1. For cookies, preheat oven to 350° F. Cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in peanut butter. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture and blend in. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and crisscross mark them with a floured fork. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until cookies just start to colour around the edges.
2. For filling, in sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugars and increase heat to medium-high. Stir until melted and bubbling. Add rum (watch out for flames). Add cinnamon. Stir in bananas to coat, set aside.
3. Cream together cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Mash bananas and add to cream cheese mixture until smooth. Chill for 20 minutes.
4. Fill between 2 peanut butter cookies to make sandwiches. Repeat with remaining cookies.
5. Yield: 12 sandwich cookies.