Sweet Potato, Okra and Cashew Jamaican Patty
- serves 0
A delicious pastry filled with a yummy mix of vegetables, sweet potatoes, okra and cashews.
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp curry powder
1 pinch salt
¼ cup margarine
¼ cup shortening
⅓ cup waterFilling
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 okra, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
1 carrot, peeled and diced
½ onion, diced
cashews, roasted and chopped
3 Tbsp Jamaican curry powder
1 cup vegetable stock
sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, combine flour, curry powder, salt, margarine and shortening.
2. Combine the ingredients by cutting them together, adding the water in a little bit at a time, until the pastry forms into a ball. Cut the pastry in half and roll out on a floured surface to roughly 1/8” thick. Punch out disks roughly 6” in diameter and set aside for filling.Filling
1. In a medium high saucepan, add vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the saucepan.
2. Add in onions, carrots, sweet potatoes and okra and sauté. Add vegetable stock and cook down until sweet potatoes are soft. If they are still a bit under cooked, add a bit more stock and cook down.
3. When ready, roughly mash the potatoes, then add cashews and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
4. When then filling is cooled, dip a finger in water and rub it around the rim of the pastry disk.
5. Place a tablespoon on one half of the pastry disk. Fold the pastry over to match the edges, using a fork to press the edges together. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the top of the patty with a simple egg wash.
6. Place in a 425ºF oven and bake for roughly 20 minutes or until golden brown.