Sweet Potato Poutine
- prep time 0 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 2
3 large sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 large shallots, sliced
1 ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 cup organic beef stock
handful parsley, minced
pinch of thyme
pinch of brown sugar
1 L peanut oil
1 cup cheese curds
1. Push potatoes through a french fry cutter or hand cut so that pieces are uniform in size. Soak in ice water for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat a pan on medium, melt butter then add flour and whisk vigorously for about 8 minutes until the roux is amber colored. Remove from the heat.
3. In another pan, lightly sauté shallots in olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add sea salt and pepper. Deglaze with organic beef stock, add thyme, brown sugar and bring to a simmer.
4. Whisk in the roux and let reduce on medium low for 15 minutes. Stir in fresh, minced parsley.
5. Strain chilled sweet potato fries and dry them in a salad spinner. It is important the fries be thoroughly dried before cooking.
6. Heat peanut oil in a heavy pot on medium-high until oil thermometer reaches 375 degrees F. Fry the potatoes in small batches for 5 minutes, then lay them on a wire rack to drain.
7. Place the fries on a plate, top with cheese curds and smother with gravy.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site