Swiss Chard Gratin
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 large bunches of fresh swiss chard, chopped (or 2 lb. of frozen)
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to tasteBechamel
1 ½ tablespoons butter (22 ml)
2 tablespoons flour (30 ml)
1 ½ cups homogenized milk (375 ml)
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 ounces pecorino cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. If using frozen swiss chard: take from freezer and place in boiling water to thaw. Remove and drain well, squeezing out any excess moisture. If using fresh swiss chard: trim the ends and roughly chop. Blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then refresh in ice water. Drain well, squeezing out any excess moisture.
4. Brush an 8x10-inch shallow baking dish with olive oil. Sprinkle bottom of baking dish evenly with sliced shallots. Lay swiss chard over top shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil, bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until swiss chard just begins to steam.Bechamel
1. Meanwhile, make the béchamel. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon, allowing it to cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cold milk in a steady stream. Continue to whisk until smooth. Return pan to medium heat and stir until it thickens and just begins to boil. Season the béchamel with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
2. Pour the béchamel sauce over top of swiss chard, spreading evenly to cover. Sprinkle with grated pecorino cheese. Put in oven and bake until golden and bubbly, 3-5 minutes.