- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
2 Tbsp diced pancetta (about one 1/2 inch slice)
2 clove garlic
½ onion, diced
½ carrot, diced
150 g ground veal
150 g ground pork
150 g ground beef
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 cup red wine
4 cup beef stock
¼ cup dried porcini mushrooms finely chopped
½ cup 10% cream
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
porscuitto ends optional
parmesan rind optional
¼ cup grated parmesan for serving
olive oil for servingBraised Fennel
2 fennel bulbs
¼ cup olive oil
1 ½ cup chicken stock
½ cup white wine
1 tsp fennel seeds
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat stock in pot and leave on stove at a simmer. In a small pot bring red wine up to a boil and then down to a simmer.
2. Add porcini mushrooms to rehydrate for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add ground meats and gently fry until excess liquid cooks out and meat is well browned, about 6-8 minutes, draining excess fat if necessary.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in another large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Fry pancetta until golden and crispy.
5. Add bay leaf, garlic, onion and carrot and sweat until soft. Add tomato paste and stir to cook out, about 3 minutes.
6. Add browned meats to pot containing pancetta and softened vegetables. Pour in wine and porcini, and bring back up to low simmer.
7. Add warmed beef stock, proscuitto and parmesan rinds, if using. Season sauce lightly with salt, pepper and nutmeg. simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced and thick, about 10-15 minutes.
8. Just before serving, add cream and stir just to warm through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
9. Cook pasta according to package in instuctions. Toss drained pasta with 1 cup of sauce. Divide dressed pasta evenly among serving plates and spoon remaining sauce over top.
10. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese, olive oil and fresh ground pepper, if desired.Braised Fennel
1. Preheat oven to 450 deg. Trim any rough discoloured edges or tips. Cut bulbs into six wedges, leaving core intact. Roughly chop and reserve 2 tbsp fronds.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large oven safe pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown fennel slices well, turning over once, 3-4 minutes total.
3. Add fennel seed, chicken stock, white wine and remaining olive oil. Braise, partially covered, in oven until fennel is tender, 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with fennel fronds and season with salt and pepper to taste.